Health Insurance – DAY CARE TREATMENT
Day Care Treatment refers to medical treatment, and /or Surgical Procedure which is:
- Undertaken under General or Local Anesthesia in a Hospital/ Day care centre in less than 24 hrs because of technological advancement, and Which would have otherwise required a hospitalisation of more than 24 hours. Treatment normally taken on an out-patient basis is not included in the scope of this definition.
The health insurance policies of the following companies chosen at random were examined in regards to Day Care Treatment:
- IFFCO-Tokio General Insurance
- Edelweiss General Insurance
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance
- United India Insurance
The nomenclature used to describe Day Care Treatment are as follows:
- IFFCO-Tokio uses the phrase – Day Care Surgeries, and covers 161 surgeries.
- Edelweiss General Insurance uses the phrase – Day Care Procedure, and covers 388 procedures
- ICICI Lombard uses the phrase – Day Care Treatment, and covers 150 treatments.
- United India Insurance does NOT give a list of Day care treatments.
The words Surgery, Procedure and Treatment have different meanings, are not defined in the policy document. Don’t you think the insurer who covers 388 Day Care Procedures it better than others?